Dacia journal was founded in 1924 by archaeologist and historian Vasile Pârvan. From the very beginning, the journal was published exclusively in international languages, for the widest possible dissemination of the results of the archaeological research in Romania. The first series comprising 12 volumes was published between 1924 and 1947 (Dacia. Recherches et découvertes archéologiques en Roumanie), as a journal of the National Museum of Antiquities and was later suspended by the communist authorities.
The publication of the journal was resumed after 10 years. The new series began in 1957 (Dacia. Revue d’archéologie et d’histoire ancienne), as a journal of the Institute of Archeology of the Romanian Academy.
Following a peer review process, the journal publishes in English, French, German and Italian, archaeology and ancient history studies, articles, notes and reviews with reference to the Carpatho-Danubian space and the neighboring areas, but is also open to topics of wide interest on other regions.